Do you know the 5 Safe Cycling Rules? When riding bicycles, please follow these traffic rules and cycle safely.
1) The basic rule for bicycles is that they must be used on the road. Cycling on the pavement is the exception, not the rule.
2) Please cycle on the left hand side of the road. It is dangerous to cycle in the opposite direction.
3) On the pavement, pedestrians have right of way. Cycle slowly on the side nearest the road. If the pedestrian’s path is hampered, please stop to allow them to pass.
4) Cycling under the influence of alcohol, riding double, riding side-by-side, cycling with no lights or using a mobile phone, smartphone or umbrella while cycling is prohibited.
5) Please observe traffic lights and road signs and remember to check for safety. Make sure that children under the age of 13 wear a helmet.
Those breaking the law may be fined or imprisoned.
Next, information on free consultation services for foreigners.
Please use the free foreigner consultation services if you are experiencing problems in your everyday life.
・Minato City consultation services for foreign residents
This is a service for foreign residents of Minato City who are having problems regarding administrative services or everyday life.
It is available in English only.
Lines are open Monday – Friday, from 9am – midday and from 1pm – 5pm, excluding national holidays.
The telephone number is 03-3578-2046.
・Metropolitan government consultation service for foreign people
This service provides advice for foreigners who live in Tokyo on matters such as Japan’s customs, culture, and social system, immigration, and family.
The days, times and telephone numbers for consultation are as follows:
English: Monday – Friday, telephone 03-5320-7744
Chinese: Tuesdays and Fridays, telephone 03-5320-7766
Korean: Wednesdays, telephone 03-5320-7700
Lines are open from 9:30am – midday and from 1pm – 5pm, excluding national holidays.
Consultation is also available at Minato International Association. Please call for enquiries. The telephone number is 03-6400-0234.